Sunday, August 24, 2008

Education Week

This last week, I had the opportunity to go down to BYU and take some classes. I remember doing this as a youth and it was so much fun! There are several classes to choose from each hour ranging from things spiritual to things like gardening. I went down with my mom, aunt, uncle and grandma. I also had the opportunity to hear my grandpa speak about the upcoming Joseph Smith Papers that will consist of 30 volumes over the next 15 years. My grandpa spoke about the journals of Joseph Smith. He has been working on the Papers of Joseph Smith for about 40 years now and what was once a one man project is now many and funded by Larry H. Miller. I've known about this neat project for awhile now but it was so neat to hear some details!


http://mormontimes.com/WC_headquarters.php?id=1791 (This is an article written about the Joseph Smith Papers and my grandpa Dean C. Jessee)


The next class I attended, well the next two classes of each day were by Chef Brad. He taught the first hour about grains and the importance of using all the grains out there. He also spoke on the importance of teaching our children about cooking and involving them in the kitchen. The next hour he did a cooking demonstration. I learned so much from him! I'm fanatical about health stuff and especially about using grains and beans and such and he gave me even more ideas about including these things in our meals and how to do so without it actually tasting healthy :)




The last class was AWESOME! It was called Square Foot Gardening. I have attempted gardens for about 5 years. My garden last year was so successful! This year...nothin. I made a few mistakes this year in my garden and now it's a forest of weeds. I learned about building pretty boxes, growing up, and getting 3 or more harvests each summer as well as the the option of growing during the winter. The best thing about these gardens are NO WEEDS! They are very low maintenance and many people do this already, so I had a lot of fun learning about this and getting started on it this fall as well as add to it each year.




This is just a picture off of the internet, but this is pretty much what they look like. Dan and I are wanting to make white vinyl boxes so they look pretty on the outside as well. I'll post pictures as we get going on it and share my progress.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

DANG! i am so jeleous that you got to go! maybe next year:) let me know how that garden goes for you too..i am gonna need some help for sure next year as a attempt my FIRST garden! you are soo awesome!
how is ray enjoying school?

lAuRa said...

That garden idea is Great! Tim and I are definitely going to try that for next year! thanks for sharing. =)

Kristi said...

I love chef Brad. I went to one of his cooking classes when I was in Utah last. I would love to hear more. Have fun with the gardening. I need to learn more. Thanks for the info!!!