My parents are here! This month has been a whirlwind of activity as my parents have sold their home of 30 years. After two exhausting weeks, I'm sure mostly for them, they are settled. I cannot even begin to tell you how PERFECT this has been! Many people look at me and say, there is no way they could ever do anything like what we've done, but they just don't understand the relationship I have with my parents. They don't understand, that even though there are always cons, that the pro's far outweigh it?! We are all so blessed to have had everything fall into place to make this work. The kids are wonderful in that they respect Grandma and Grandpa's new "house" downstairs. They are NOT allowed to just go down anytime they want. They must call first, at least until the door is set up for them to knock on. I appreciate the respect on their part to help (my yard has never looked nicer). I, in return vowed to never take advantage of my Mom's willingness to always serve and help. She is one great lady. I marvel at her and her ability to always think positive, to never speak guile, to always build and uplift. My Dad in turn works so hard and contributes so much. Dan loves being able to have Dad as someone he can ask how to do something as far as fixing things up or building something. My Dad is amazing with figuring out how to fix or repair something and never does anything but perfection. Lastly, I can't even begin to tell you the relief that comes from 1/2 the house payment and for them no house payment. The benefits of this will far outweigh the fact that we will have to share a smaller space. It will be so good for my children to do this in their youth, to learn to respect and serve their elders. I hope, in so many ways this will prepare my children for the world that is obsessed with things. I say this in no way meaning to offend.
Anyway...as my kids have been off-track for the last week and with a month full of nonstop work, I can't help but feel guilty! Why is this?! I guess because my kids have watched way too much t.v. and I try to complete all that must be done as a Mom each day. It's so hard to play and have fun with your kids as they bicker constantly just because they are kids and thats what kids do!
The other night I went out with my SIL to a movie. It was so nice to be able to get out of the house and do something lazy for an evening. We were talking about our kids, of course, and she made the comment that running around after her two year old and taking care of her baby and making sure her almost 5 year old was getting the attention she needed that it is just plain physically exhausting! I remember that! Wow, having small children just takes it out of you, but WOW, trying to reason, teach, mold and stimulate older kids is also exhausting on so many different levels! I can't believe how wonderful it is to have my kids old enough to pretty much get up each day, shower, make their own breakfast (if needed), lunch, clean their spaces and do what's expected of them. Of course, there are times I fight them on chores, but they know what is expected and do it! I love it! However, my mind is in constant motion as I try to teach my kids about relationships with friends, how to solve problems in school or how to communicate concerns, work out problems with siblings, doing whats asked without attitude, teach the gospel, how to cook, clean and become a young woman! What responsibility!
As Dan and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary this month, I just can't believe how time has flown, how much we've accomplished, not accomplished (haha), and all we've been through and learned. I'm so grateful for Dan....what a great man! I feel so blessed to have him!
I can't wait until things slow down just a little, so I can take a breather, though ;) I also have a billion pictures to post...so hopefully I can get to that in the next week!
7 comments:
and to think you are going to start ALL over again with a baby:) life is soo much fun with kids, thats why we are here and i am so glad you are able to teach your kids whats important in life! we feel the same way about sharing space, it will mold them in a different way!
ps thanks for letting parker come play! he was sooo excited!!
Glad you and you parents are settling in. Tell them "hi" from us and maybe we can all have a game one night together. LOVE YA
MTJJ
What a blessing to have your parents there and to have such a wonderful relationship with them! I can clearly remember how incredibly kind and loving both of your parents are! Even as an 7/8 yr old kid I remember thinking that your mom was such a warm, positive, and uplifting person!
I can relate to you on SO MANY levels w/ the constant mental energy it takes to be a mom and raise kids, even when they become independent there are always challenges! I pray daily that I am guiding my children down the right path which can be mentally exhausting! What a gift it will be when we can see what remarkable adults they become...hopefully, righ?! ;)
Yet again, I read your blog thinking you are the most amazing woman, daughter, wife and mother around. You are so awesome! Thanks for your example. And good luck getting things settled down! :)
Lately I just pray to enjoy the moments because I can already feel how my kids are growing so fast. I just want to be able to have time to enjoy them and try not to regret not spending enough time with them...which is impossible I think. This is why I pray...God is the only one who can help us balance it all!!
Did you cry when they sold the house? I did when my parents sold the house in SLC. I know it's a house, but it was full of so many memories.
That is so great that your kids are respectful of your parents' space. They will love having grandparents so close by...they won't miss a thing! You are looking fantastic being pregnant, by the way!
You guys are so great. Seriously! I have always been impressed by how great your kids are, and there will be great blessings to your whole family for the service. Way to go girl.
Post a Comment