Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Virtue

How I love that word. I went to a wonderful fireside Sunday night and listened to Jodi Robinson, Author of "Women of Virtue". It was a fireside for the Young Women and their parents, so Dan and I took Hailey. Can I just say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE having Hailey in Young Womens?!!! She is such a sweet heart! This fireside really got me thinking about this amazing standard that has been added to the list of value's that the Young Women study. I loved some of the thoughts that Jodi shared. Virtue really is more than just sexual purity, it is purity in all forms and encompasses all of the values: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works and Integrity. A woman who has Virtue will have have/be and do all of these things. I get so frustrated with the view the world puts on women today, how they must look and not only look but the fact that everything is based on how they should look. Jodi talked about the beauty found in women of character...women who are service oriented who have charity and abound in good works. I can think of some women in my life who are like this...who are so beautiful and virtuous. I like that Jodi helped me to think of these women and how I can be like them, but more importantly, how I can be like my Savior. Anyway, my thoughts are jumbled, but I realized a few things about myself. I find that sometimes I judge too quickly and that I put too much emphasis on the outside. I need to focus more on what Jesus would have me do, how he would have me look, how he would have me act. I need to focus more on others, more on my family. I need to "return to virtue" and not let the influence of the world enter my home and influence me and my actions :)

I like some of these quotes from Elaine Dalton, our current Young Women President:

"Virtue is a word we don’t hear often in today’s society, but the Latin root word virtus means strength. Virtuous women and men possess a quiet dignity and inner strength. They are confident because they are worthy to receive and be guided by the Holy Ghost. President Monson has counseled: “You be the one to make a stand for right, even if you stand alone. Have the moral courage to be a light for others to follow."

"What could be more deceptive than to entice women, young and old, you and me, to be so involved in ourselves, our looks, our clothes, our body shape and size that we lose sight of our divine identity and our ability to change the world through our virtuous influence? "

"I truly believe that one virtuous young woman or young man, led by the Spirit, can change the world, but in order to do so, we must return to virtue. We must engage in strict training. As the marathon runner Juma Ikangaa said after winning the New York Marathon, “The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.” Now is the time to prepare by exercising more self-discipline. Now is the time to become “more fit for the kingdom.” Now is the time to set our course and focus on the finish. A return to virtue must begin individually in our hearts and in our homes.

What can each of us do to begin our return to virtue? The course and the training program will be unique to each of us. I have derived my personal training program from instructions found in the scriptures: “Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly.” “Cleave unto [your] covenants.” “Stand … in holy places.” “Lay aside the things of [the] world.” “Believe that ye must repent.” “Always remember him and keep his commandments.” And “if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, … seek after these things.” Now more than ever before, it is time to respond to Moroni’s call to “awake, and arise” and to “lay hold upon every good gift, and touch not the evil gift, nor the unclean thing.”'

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great post! I cant wait for my girls to be in Young Womans!
What is cool is this kinda goes along the lines with what Pres. Monson talked about with us judging others. I loved IT! You are Awesome Jen!

Liesl said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as always, uplifting and thought- provoking. :)

teenie said...

Thanks Jenny. Loved reading that. Each value, when lived sincerely, encompasses all the values, isn't that amazing? I love the idea of virtue being a 'strength', part of our Indentity.
My husband has twice given me a new set of scriptures and in both he's highlighted Proverbs 31:10-31 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies... Now *there's* a definition of virtue to live up to. :)