So a cousin of mine asked us bloggers for some healthy snack ideas and I thought I would post mine on my blog, so it might be useful to all of you :)
Apple-Raisin Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon orange peel
1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 cup organic sugar or honey (I have used 100% apple juice concentrate to eliminate sugar)
1 cup skim milk or soy milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 apple, cored and cut into fourths (1/2 cup)
1/3 cup raisins
Mix flour, oats, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, orange peel, nuts, and sugar. In blender combine milk, egg, oil, apple, and raisins. Pulse to mix and finely chop apple and raisins. Add to dry ingredients, and stir until moistened. Fill nonstick muffins 2/3 full. Bake @ 400 for 12 to 14 minutes.
I like to use the mini muffin tins for bite size muffins and these freeze well, so I will double it and pull out in a pinch :)
Banana Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup bran cereal (I've used oats, all bran, even raisin bran in a pinch)
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons honey, organic sugar or fruit juice concentrate
1 egg
2 tablespoons oil
1/3 cup milk
2 or 3 large bananas
Mix dry ingredients. In blender combine egg, oil, milk, and bananas. Blend on low speed until banana is pureed. Pour into dry ingredients, and stir only until combine. Fill nonstick muffin pans and bake at 400 for 12 to 14 minutes. (
Popovers
1 cup flour (white or wheat)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
Pul all ingredients in a blender. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Pour into nonstick muffin pans. A few minutes before removing from oven, prick popovers with a fork to allow steam to escape. For crispy popovers, turn off oven and leave popovers in oven with door ajar for 30 minutes. Serve hot. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes reduce heat to 350 and bake 20-25 minutes until firm and brown.
I took these recipes from the book Set for Life. I love this book and use most of the recipes in it. I have adapted and changed some of the ingredients to fit our eating habits, like substituting soy milk for regular milk and juice for sugar in the muffins but this book has some other great muffin and bread recipes as well as main dishes, salads and desserts. It's uber healthy and not to expensive. Enjoy :)
1 comment:
Jenny, thanks for sharing these! We really need a family recipe blog to share healthy food ideas. I need more variety! They sound yummy -- I LOVE muffins :)
Post a Comment