Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mt. Timpanogos...oh yeah!

Anyone been on this nightmarishly long hike before? I love it, but it was my first hike of the year and it about did me in! 7 1/2 miles up! I could barely walk after the hike Saturday night, lol. My brothers Matt, Brent, Shawn, my Mom, Grandma June, my girls, Hailey, Abby and Matt's Daughter Sammantha started out on this hike together. Mom, Grandma and the kids hiked slower together and made it about 2 miles up before turning back. Matt and Brent made it up to the top in about 2 hours, which is insane! Shawn and I made it up in 4 hours. I had so much fun hiking with Shawn! He makes me laugh and it was serious good times, of which I will remember forever! This hike was really tough toward the end because of all the snow. It required a lot of concentration, slow moving and deliberate, careful footwork. I had hiked it last year when the snow had melted and though it was tough, it wasn't as tough as trying to get up in this snow! Shawn and I slid down the glacier and that was so scary! It was straight down and I dug my feet in for all I was worth and still flew down the mountain and have burns all over my legs from it. I am so proud of us for making it up! Here a a billion silly and kool pix :) Yeah it's kinda hard taking pictures of yourself...lol



(Below) The top! Well, the shack is the very top and Shawn and I couldn't fathom walking on the ridge to get to it, so we made it to this part of the top...haha, if that makes sense.
The first of the ridges of snow to cross. If you fell you fell straight down in rocks, it was very dangerous.





Below....k see the slide? Up at the top is where you start and you just sit down and slide...ouch!

The the shack? Probably not...but its way up there and if you look closely you can see the fools who walked along the ridge to get to it :)




7 comments:

The Jessee Journal said...

Way to go! Trent and I are planning on hiking it late summer/early fall when the snow will be gone (hopefully!)I've never hiked it before so I figure it is a Utah rite of passage. I could never slide down the glacier though!! It sounds scary :)

Lynette said...

So fun to see all the pics of Timp hike and the Portland trip. Shawn is so awesome. I am glad you had him to hike with!! Is Timp a 15 mile hike? How many miles is King's Peak? That is amazing all the snow you went through.

Jenny said...

yes, Lynette, I hope you can hike this with me on Tuesday again. I'd love to make it to that shack. I didn't this last time, so I'm sure the hike was about a mile or so less. It is a very long hike! You really feel it coming down about the last 3 miles. It feels like it will never end...lol Kings peak, if I remember right is about 12 to 13 miles in. The last 5 miles, I believe are straight up. I only hiked to the base of the part where it goes straight up. Unless you are planning to stay the night you hike in a certain number of hours and regardless of where you are at around 1 or 2 p.m., you turn and head back. Kings Peak is flat until that last 5 miles, so it is actually relatively easy. Timp, is tough! I love it though and can't wait to do it again!

Darren and Traci said...

Fun! Well fun for you I guess, I don't think I would be quite up for that kind of a hike right now. haha but I'm glad you enjoyed yourself

goodies said...

Go Jen!!!! We're hoping to be up there the first part of september so i wanna go hiking with you. i might need a piggy back which by then you will probably be able to do with all the hiking your doing. the view looks awesome from the top too.

tam

Chelsea said...

wow girl, way to go. you look smokin', love those pictures. can't imagine hiking that high.

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.