Yesterday, around 4 p.m. my little Rachel started to get a tummy ache. Now, to me this is nothing new, sadly. If this girl eats too much sugar or not enough veggies, she loses her appetite and sad but true gets so backed up. We had been with my mom for most of the day, so I brought her home and we fixed some yummy dinner...whole grain spaghetti w/ salad. Well, Ray didn't eat a ton and then had a cookie (duh) that the kiddo's decorated all Halloween like. She seemed to be feeling better and the kids went downstairs to watch a movie on their computer. Dan and I were so tired from being up at 5 a.m. that we were ready for bed at 8:00 p.m. (yes, this is early, we're so old!) We had just shut our eyes when Hailey came up to tell me Ray wasn't feeling well. We brought Ray upstairs and gave her a bucket and her tummy pain intensified. We knew she had to sit on the potty for a little while...well after having success (TMI, I know!), her pain still got worse, instead of better. She finally fell asleep around 9:30 and we had just fallen asleep when she woke up with the pain again about 15 minutes later. It just got worse. So, as the pain began to localize we thought we ought to take her in just to be safe. WHAT A NIGHTMARE! Can I just say the taking anyone to the ER is just the most grueling experience ever! We waited for 1 hour to get a room....1 hour and 15 minutes to see and doctor...1 hour for xrays, 1 hour for blood work, 1 more hour to get the doctor back in the room to tell us her white blood cell count was high and even though she was still backed up with junk, that it could be an appendicitis. He told us there wasn't much they could do for her and to take her to primarys. Well, most of this time, Ray was quite calm. The pain would come and go but she was in relatively good spirits and Dan and I just looked at each other thinking, I hope this isn't just a bad case of gas or something (LOL). Well, after drawing blood, they put an i.v. in her. She took that like a champ! We then took her to Primarys getting up there at 4:30 a.m. Poor D was so tired he just fell asleep the second he sat down. I wish I could do that. I have to be just perfectly comfy to fall asleep. So Ray colored at Primarys while we waited to see a doc there. Long story short. The jury was still out on an appendicitis. The doc said we needed to move things through for her and so of course she had some not so pleasant treatments for the next hour which helped her considerably. Around 6:30 a.m. he told us to go home and watch for intensified localized pain and if it worsened or she developed a higher fever (she had a low fever), then to return. Word of advice people...take your children to Primarys anytime you have to go to the ER for your children, it's so worth the extra few minutes it takes to get up there, because they will send you there anyway. I love that place! What a difference compared to the ER at that new Intermountain hospital on State and 53rd...ugh.
What a night! I am so grateful for my mom! She was over here quick and my wonderfully responsible 10 year old helped me so much today! D and I went to sleep almost as soon as we got home, my mom left and the kids just took care of everything! Hailey bathed and dressed Joe, cleaned the kitchen, did all my laundry and kept the kids quiet! Can you believe it?! She is only 10 people, where the heck did she come from?! I ask myself this all the time, because it certainly isn't anything I do ;) I wanted to cry when I woke today to find a clean house and happy kids!
Well, now that it's almost 4 p.m., it's time to start my day and biggest bummer of all, I missed our family picnic with my mom's side of the family. I was looking so forward to that! But, I am grateful Ray is doing well.
6 comments:
What drama! I'm glad to hear she is doing better. I agree about the ER though -- it's a joke! This past week my dad was there for 10 stinking hours and they ended up sending him home because he wasn't in pain at the exact moment they could finally see him (kidney stone stuff)! They still charged him the $150 though!! IT's ridiculous. By the way, can I borrow your 10-yr old sometime? She sounds like a dream child :)
Hey, looks like you're joining me in this all-nighter stuff. =) fun, eh! That's the worst, poor girl! I know exactly how she feels.. hope she's doing better now! Maybe she'll eat better after that experience?! =)
Yikes! So sorry Jen! We've had many similar experiences at the ER--and we do always go to Primary Childrens now! Let me know if I can help you out--maybe watch Joe sometime while you get some sleep? My girls would love to play with him.
YIKES! i am soooo sorry I hate the ER and i am with you on the take them straight to primarys cause it saves sooo many hours! i am glad she is feeling better and i am glad you have a close mamma!
I am so glad Ray is ok. I hope it does not get worse. What a night!! I am telling Dave to do something useful and read your blog!! He would love this!! He reads the Cougar Fan page EVERYDAY but he never reads the awesome blogs about Joe and Star Wars!! Besides, BYU is losing, so he needs to find better things to read!!!
I love reading your blog. You bring back many memories of my earlier days with lots of little ones. I always told myself in difficult situations, "This is only a test...." it seemed to work at the time. Great job to Hailey and your other kids for taking care of things. My first, Tara, was like that too. My kids called her mommy Tara - she was my right hand. I know you feel the same way too. Jenny, you and Dan have a beautiful family!!!
Love ya, Debbi Jones
Post a Comment