Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm Not Answering the Phone Anymore...

because that's how you get asked to speak in church. I guess this is just what I need right now. I've been praying often and trying to read my scriptures and trying to not hold grudges and of course, I get a call to speak... My topic is service. Yet another thing I need to do better. I really don't mind speaking in church, I'm not afraid of speaking in front of people, but lately I'm just not 'feeling it', ya know? Do you ever have times in your life when your just not in 'spiritual mode'? That would be me. Even more of a reason to study a topic and share it with the ward, don't ya think? Anyone have any great scriptures or talks they've enjoyed on Service? Please share, I'm all for studying all I can about this topic this week!

5 comments:

Liesl said...

I love that you're going to speak, that will be fun for me! :) (is it just you, or your whole family?) I really like to think about how much service opportunity we are blessed with on a daily basis as mothers. Others have to actually go out and find people to serve, but it's just given to us at this point in our lives--it won't always be this way. Also, I gave a lesson on this a few years back and found a lot of great info in "Strengthening Our Families--an In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family".If you'd like to borrow it, let me know.

Kristi said...

You will do an awesome job speaking on service. You seemed to always be serving when you were here and I know it hasn't stopped. Sometimes it is all those little things like a call to someone you're thinking about or a little note. I love that service doesn't have to be big but sometimes just a smile to someone who needs it. It seems that it is easy to get into one of those lulls where Satan wants us to think that we are out of our spiritual mode. I know it happens to me a lot. One of my new favorite things to tell the boys is "Keep moving forward"(they love the Robinsons movie). Don't get discouraged just keep moving forward!!! I wish I could be there an eat at that spiritual feast you'll be serving!!! Love ya

lAuRa said...

I feel ya. ha =) Service.oh boy, that is one I'm constantly trying to do better on. One of my favorite quotes my dad always says to me is "If you're not happy with your lot in life, build a service station on it!" totally true...if you're bogged down with your own trials or depressed, serving others is always a cure to feeling better.. why? because we forget about ourselves and are focusing on making others happy.. "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God." Pres Monson gave a great talk "may we so live". good luck! =)

Jenny said...

I'm so glad I have such great friends! Thanks ladies!

Rayna said...

You are amazing and you will give an inspirational and uplifting talk. I haven't given a talk on Service lately, but I have a great one on Courage. Want to borrow that one? :-) Just speak from your heart and you will rock!