Monday, January 14, 2008

Best of's

I just read the book "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer...Holy Cow! All I can say is that it's been a long time I read a book that size in 1 day! Isn't that pathetic! Like I don't have anything better to do with my time. It was so fascinating. I love fiction, but rarely find it to be free of smut. This, however was captivating! Rarely, I find other books outside of LDS Fiction and my scriptures interesting but lately that's been changing. I must say one of the best books I've ever read was "Not My Will, But Thine" by Neal Maxwell. All of his works and talks given fascinate me. He is hard for some to follow but his words give me something to "chew" on. I read his stuff slowly so I don't miss a thing and just dwell on what he writes or the things he's spoken of for some time before going on to the next. I also love Sheri Dew and her candid way of speaking. Her latest book "God Wants a Powerful People" is an amazing book. We don't realize how much "power" we've been given and by tapping it to it righteously, what we can accomplish, for good. When it comes to self-help books I stumble, very few interest me because many of them are so much opinion and I rarely find the whole book worthwhile, only a few chapters or points made. I would have to say that my favorite self-help book is "5 Love Languages". This was an interesting read for me, trying to understand those close to me and how to communicate love to them in the way that they would best absorb it. Now, as for non-fiction. The last book I read was the autobiography of Doris Day. I've loved Doris Day since I was a child. I used to go over to my fav cousins house for sleep-overs and when she was fast asleep at 9:00 p.m., by aunt Tina would come in and find movies for me to watch and they were always Doris Day. She'd stay up with me awhile and watch them. Ever since, she has been by favorite actress. After reading her book, however, I have a much less beautiful view of her. She was human, go figure, where in most of her movies she is so pure, so fun, so sure of herself. She had a rough life! It was an intersting book to read. Well, I could go on and on...what I really need to do is join a bookclub:)

So, in thinking about the year 2007. I would have to say there are many "best of's". My favorite movie was "Amazing Grace". This movie, to me is a classic. It is so filled with so many good messages. It was heart wrenching! I'm a sucker for silly, teenage music and my favorite song this year was "No One" by Alicia Keys. I love listening to music that makes me want to get up and dance (not many people will witness this though, only done in the confines of my kitchen when only my kids or no one at all is watching, am I really admitting this?!LOL). My favorite food this year was Sushi. Dan andI have been indulging ourselves in this yummy tradition for awhile now, but this year, we really have missed all the cheap, yummy sushi bars so easily found in Portland.

Now, to get to the personal "Best of's". This year watching my kids learn to swim was so awesome! I've wanted them to learn but never had the opportunity without paying hundreds of dollars for it. Moving into a neighborhood where we have a HOA pool right down the street is sooooooooo cooooool! We went swimming a ton and I have to admit I loved getting a tan, but this year, I'm going to be more health conscious about my skin, it was fun to indulge this last year, though. Brent and Cortnie going through the temple this year was also an amazing, beautiful experience! It has been so nice living near my family! I've loved getting to know my amazing Sister-in-laws. I love having sisters (even though, lately I don't know where they have been hiding:)) I've loved going to all the extended family events and seeing all the aunts and uncles and cousins I've missed! My new calling late last year was also a wonderful experience. I am so enjoying working with the Mia Maids. What great girls! I enjoy teaching them and attending the activities and getting to know there sweet spirits! It's going to keep me young! Well, I wish I could go on, but I have to get lunch for the kiddo's. For those of you reading, who haven't shared your "best of's", please share!

5 comments:

The Jessee Journal said...

Jenny, I LOVED Twilight too :) It was definetly a page-turner. You'll have to let me know how you like the other two ... I won't spoil it for you ; ) I also really enjoyed The 5 love Languages (we read that in our book club this year). I didn't even know Trent's love language .. it was a real eye-opener. Thanks for the other book recommendations :D

lAuRa said...

yea..i can't believe i forgot about that book-5 love lang. it was great! now, we need to put it to practice. ha =) I REALLY want to read sherri dew's book- God wants a powerful people! my mom got it and is going to lend it to me after! I also hear ya on Elder Maxwell. He really has some deep, ponderous thoughts..and takes me a while to get thru his books- I'm now reading his book, All these things shall give thee experience, which is GREAT so far. i've had it for 2 months and I'm on pg. 30! lol that's WAY funny that tam left you up alone...must run in the fam.. i couldn't stay up past 11 on sleepovers...my friends would always be up watching more movies..haha but ya got your doris day in, that's good! i love her movies, she cracks me up! I love how she gets mad- it's hilarious. ok, woa, i think i just wrote a novel...sorry! =)

Lynette said...

Jen, I am so glad you talked about your favorite books!! I was just thinking it would be nice to read something for fun. Dave and I read the Harry Potter books and loved them but now what? It has been a while since I have read something for fun and this Twilight sounds like one to consider!! Doesn't it sound nice, sitting at a beach house enjoying a good book?

Erica-Lou said...

I love Twilight too! My roommates and I all went through a period last semester when we were crazily reading through the series! I don't know if you knew, but they are making it into a movie. It comes out next fall, I think. Hopefully it is good and they don't ruin it! Oh, also, if you go to Stephanie Meyers website you can read the first chapter of another book she is writing; it is Twilight over again, but this time through Edward's point of view. Just thought I'd share that with you! Oh, and I love your new blog!

Jenny said...

Erica-Lou....is it really you? cute name :) Yes I'm on Eclipse now, It's so addicting, I can hardly put it down. I'll think I'll read this whole series in a week! The funny thing is Dan is almost done with New Moon. He said he likes them more than Harry Potter. She's doing it from Edwards point of view? Interesting! And movies...even more cool! Dan and I were just talking about how easy it would be to make these into movies and how cool that would be! He'll be thrilled to know.