Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Store Adventures...

I think I mentioned in an earlier blog how much I hated going to the grocery store. It's my least favorite place! Well, not to be super negative here, but I do have to vent a little about my trip yesterday and again today! Abby was home yesterday with a yucky cough so I had Rachel, Joe and Abby as I went grocery shopping. It was at Walmart and it wasn't a lengthy list. I'm thinking it will be a quick in and out thing. I told the kids that if they were helpful and didn't whine for things that they could choose a snack at the store. This usually works...but yesterday....it didn't! We were just in the store and I was picking out toothbrushes, needing to replace all of our after all the sickness in our house and Joe started throwing a tantrum about having a spiderman toothbrush and toothpaste and Rachel wanted princess toothpaste and so they started yelling at each other. I, of course told them to shush and we hurried to the next aisle where Rachel saw princess shampoo! I'm big on getting the cheapest thing! I would rather go for the dollar shampoo rather than spending a few dollars on princess shampoo...occasionally I get them fun stuff, but I just can't do it all the time, especially in the last half of the month when my budget is low! So, I remind the kids of they're snack and that's all I can get them today, if they will stop whining about all the stuff they want. Joe and Ray start crying! I tell Joe he's not getting his snack if he doesn't stop and he yells "no!". Well, I ignore them now and hurry as fast as I can through the store! Abby, of course is being wonderful! So, I get her a snack on the way out. The other kids start throwing a fit (dumb for me to do, I should have hid it or something, I don't know!). They are screaming and crying as I fly out of the store to discover the wind is blowing really hard AND it's snowing! The kids start screaming louder because of the cold and everyone in the parking lot is looking at us....I'm mortified! Well, I throw the groceries in the back of the van and I speed away and while I'm doing so, I'm lecturing my youngest children! I told them they couldn't have a treat/snack if they were to be whining and crying in the store...the tantrum goes on! I'm sure your all stressed right now finding something more peaceful to read, I WOULD! Well, today I have to run into the store for some dirt...yes dirt, new plant needs dirt...so we run in to get dirt and I threaten Ray and Joe (Abby now in school, feeling better) to be good in the store, no treats no matter what and if they throw fits they go to time-out as soon as I get home. So they were good. As we are checking out they ask for a treat, I tell them they can have lunch at home. All is well. We get home and Dan is home working and notices Rachel drop a pack of gum! We ask her where she got the gum and after some prodding, find out she STOLE IT FROM THE STORE! I swear, sometimes being a mom is so exhausting! I talk to her about stealing and tell her we are going right back to the store where she will pay for the gum and tell them she stole it and say sorry. She, of course, is afraid she will go to jail! I tell her that if she doesn't stop stealing as she gets older, she will, but not today. Today I tell her she is going to go back and make it right. So we go back to the blasted store and she tells them she's sorry and we pay for it. Well, that basically sums up my life the last two days. There is always something! Well, if your still with me, thanks for lending your reading abilities so I could vent....Anyone want to share your crazy store adventures? I'd love to hear them!

5 comments:

The Jessee Journal said...

Don't think I'm mean, but I couldn't help laughing as I read your post! I remember going to The Quilted Bear with Shay (luckily before Tru was born) and she was in a hitting stage! It was so embarrassing to have her smack me in the face randomly. I would discipline her and she would start screaming on the top of her lungs. That is such a quiet store so I was absolutely mortified. I haven't made it to the point where Shay has grabbed anything from a store -- yet -- but I remember doing the same thing as a kid, and bawling the whole time when I was found out. There was nothing more scary than having to go back and apologize! My dad (who is blind) once took my older sister to the store with him, while he was checking out the cashier asked him "Sir are you going to pay for that candy bar?" Apparently she had grabbed a candy, opened it and started chowing down, escaping my dad's notice :) haha. Guess everyone has to have one of those stories to tell right? :)

Darren and Traci said...

Oh my goodness Jen... sounds exhausting. I hate those days that you just wish you could do over and everyone be happy. I mean common if kids are offered a treat they are supposed to be good right? How are your kids all doing? Are they on the mend from being sick? Emmie has a cough and running nose but poor Allie is terrible. I think she got whatever crazy thing my mom had when we were on the cruise, poor thing. I hate when they are sick so young. I hope your kids are doing better though, you need a break. If you want to drop the kids off for a bit feel free, we have a ton of open space to run around in!

lAuRa said...

oh jeez! funny kids! i kinda had to laugh at your story too Marcie...laugh in a way that I feel bad, of course. ;) I just can't wait til Faith gets to that stage! HA Thanks for sharing that Jen, it makes my bad days feel like nothin! =) hopefully Ray learned her lesson, eh! Way to stay sane--it probably woulda been hard to keep my cool!

Erica-Lou said...

Oh my goodness! That is so funny! haha I guess I laugh because I've never experienced it. You all will be laughing at me when I go through the same stuff a few years down the road! Like I said though, I'm just going to send my kids to you Jen! ;)

Robin said...

Good for you for taking her back to the store and having her make it right. These are such important lessons for kids to learn. You're a great mom!