Saturday, January 26, 2008

Discovery Day


I had the fun opportunity of going to Hailey's class yesterday to do a craft with the kids. It was something Hailey and I planned. She wanted to play the piano, so we decided to make Music Makers....two paper plates decorated and stapled together with beans inside and streamers on the edges. It was so much fun! I wish I could have taken more pictures but didn't have a chance. Hailey is getting so good at the piano and I had so much fun practicing and performing our duets! The kids used they're music makers and shook them to the beat. I included a cute picture of most of Hailey's class. As I think of all the things I could've been when I grew up, being a teacher would've fit me nicely. I so enjoyed being with the kids and making these things with them. I also volunteer at Haileys class once a week and go over multiplication with them and I love it! Abby's class is also fun. Her teacher has been teaching for 25 years and appreciates the parent support but doesn't seem to need as much help as Hailey's teacher. I go into Abby's class once a month and do reading groups with them. I've loved teaching my children to read. I feel it is the most important thing in getting your children excited about learning and school. I've taught Hailey and Abby to read before kindergarten and am working with Rachel now and I feel it's made such a huge impact on Hailey and Abby loving school and doing well. I love watching children learn and love they're excitement as then learn to write and understand what they read! So, in my effort to help my children learn...tell me some fun things you do with your kids that inspire them to love learning? I love new ideas!

1 comment:

lAuRa said...

That's awesome that you get to go help like that! I think it would be fun! that's so cool that your kids start learning to read so early! I want my kids to be one of those kids who just seem so smart for their age! =) as for ideas of how to inspire them to learn...I always remember loving to learn by hands-on. I hated just listening to lectures..but I came more to life and got excited and actually got a LOT more out of things when I got to have hands-on or visual learning. you prob. already do that tho...I loved having contests, such as spelling bee's. some of my teachers made games for learning times tables and spelling, etc. I can't really think of any real good ideas tho...sorry =)