Thursday, September 18, 2008

Update on The Host

Okay, I finished this book last night! It is GOOD! It is basically a story of a woman whose body is taken over by a "soul" or alien. Most of the earth is taken over by these souls and they are mostly peaceable creatures that take over the human body and mind. There are a few humans left and this woman named Melanie has been caught by the Seekers (aliens that seek out humans). A soul is put inside of her and this souls name is Wanderer. Wanderer is unable to take over Melanie's mind. Melanie and the Wanderer co-exist in this human body and Melanie can see what the Wanderer sees and the Wanderer, when allowed can see memories from Melanie. The soul becomes troubled when she cannot see Melanie's mind and feels separate than the other souls living around her. What Melanie does allow the Wanderer to see is her love for her brother Jamie and her love, Jared. She misses them and worries about them and remembers the strong human bond she has with them and this overcomes the Wanderer and the Wanderers desires become Melanie's desires. Is this sounding weird yet? Wanderer seeks to find Jamie and Jared and the story just takes off from there and is just fascinating! Okay, you've had my review...I'll stop babbling about it;)

3 comments:

lAuRa said...

sounds good...a little freakish, but good. =) I can definitely tell Stephenie Meyer wrote it-that part where you said "The soul becomes troubled when she cannot see Melanie's mind"-sounds awfully familiar =) like when Edward was frustrated he couldn't read Bella's mind. Thanks for sharing this.

The Jessee Journal said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to type up the recipe for me!! I can't wait to try it :)

Darren and Traci said...

I really liked the Host. I however was one of those people who had a hard time getting into it. But once I was into it I was hooked until it was done. I hear she is thinking about a sequel to it and I think she needs one with how open she left it at the end. Have you heard of the Uglies series? That is the series I am starting next. I hear that people that like Twilight like it but we'll see.